Japanese Government Scholarships for International Undergraduate Students
Are you an international students? The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) offers scholarships to international students who wish to study at Japanese universities as undergraduates students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) scholarships programme.
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) offers scholarships to international students who wish to study at Japanese universities as undergraduate students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) scholarships program for 2020 academic sessions.
- Universities in Japan
Program of Study:
- Applicants who wish to study in Japan as an undergraduate student must choose a field from two major fields: (1) Social Sciences and Humanities and (2) Natural Sciences. Please check the official webpage for full list of eligible program of study.
Scholarships Award Numbers:
- Not mentioned
- Nationals of country which has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government.
- The scholarships include tuition and other fees, allowance of 117,000 yen per month, an additional monthly stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen may be provided to those undertaking study or research in specially dedicated regions, and travel costs to and from Japan. Please check the scholarships webpage for full list of scholarships benefits.
- The scholarships duration will last for five years from April 2020 to March 2025, including one-year preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects due to be provided upon your arrival in Japan.
- 1. Nationality: Candidates must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. An applicants who has Japanese nationality at time of application is not eligible. Meanwhile, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the foreign country and give up their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan. Candidates screening will be conducted at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country.
- 2. Age: Applicants, in principle, must have been born between April 2, 1995 and April 1, 2003.
- 3. Academic Background: Applicants must meet one of the following conditions. Meanwhile, candidates desiring direct placement must satisfy either the following ‘one’ or ‘three’ conditions.
- Applicants who have completed 12 years of schooling in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who meet the above qualifications by march 2020 are eligible. Meanwhile, applicants who wish to enroll from autumn term through direct placement must be expected to complete 12 years of schooling by August 2020.)
- Applicants who have completed their studies at a school equivalent to a Japanese upper secondary school in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who will meet the above qualifications by March 2020 are eligible.)
- Other than the above 1 and 2 conditions, applicants who are eligible for enrollment in a Japanese university at the time of application.
- 4. Japanese Language: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan. In addition, principle, applicants must be willing to carry out their academic studies in Japan in Japanese.
- 5. Health: Applicants must submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s studies in Japan.
- 6. Arrival in Japan: In principle, applicant’s must be able to arrive in Japan between the 1st and 7th of April 2020. If an applicant is to enroll in his/her university from the fall semester through direct placement, he/she must be able to arrive in Japan during the period specified by the accepting university within two weeks before and after the starting date of university’s relevant academic term for that year.
- 7. Visa Requirement: An applicant shall, in principle, obtain a “Student” visa at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in the applicant’s country of nationality, and enter Japan with the residence status of “Student.” However, to see more of eligibility criteria and conditions of the scholarships, kindly visit the official scholarships webpage.
Method of Application
Any interested applicants must submit the required documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country by the required application deadline. However, the application process differs according to the country in which the Japanese embassy is located. meanwhile, you can inquire at the Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country for informations. Application deadline varies per country, you can check your country deadline at the official website.
Please refer to the scholarships webpage for clarity and guidelines on how to apply for the scholarships applications and other needed informations.
Related Scholarships:Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme for International Students