Global Minds Doctoral Scholarships Program 2020-2021 for PhD Students in Developing Countries
Do you want to pursue a PhD? Are you interested to study in great country like Belgium? Are you an international students? Have you made up your mind for this scholarship? If you do then, the Global Minds Scholarship 2020 award is what will take you there. Keep reading to see more information about the Global Minds scholarship award.
If you are looking to pursue your studies at one of the brightest and safest countries such as Belgium then, we are glad to say, that you made it to the right place. This page will equip you to easily apply for Global Minds Scholarship 2020. However the only way for you to gain this scholarship is, if you have meet the requirement, if not don’t bother applying for it.
About Global Minds Scholarship
For it contributions to development cooperation, every academic year KU Leuven selects an exceptional students from developing countries as scholarship candidates to obtain their PhD from the largest university of Belgium. The Global Minds programme is managed by IRO, the university’s Interfaculty Council for Development Cooperation.
The goal is to help students to grab opportunity to conducts PhD research in a sandwich system, which means that 50% of the research takes place at KU Leuven and 50% at the home institution of the scholar, supported by a local co-promoter. The PhD degree is awarded by KU Leuven.
Global Minds Scholarship 2020-2021 Application requirements – General Requirements
On this section is the requirement you must possess in other for you to be able to apply for the Global Minds Scholarship 2020-2021 award
- Applicants must be a citizen of one of the countries included in VLIR-UOS Scholarship country list;
- Applicant who have citizenship of the European Union will not be selected. Same applies to applicants with a long-term European union residence permit;
- The Applicants latest Master’s degree must have been awarded no more than ten years prior to 1 October 2020 (including the ongoing calender year).
The applicants must have been awarded an academic grade equivalent to High Distinction of higher Degrees obtained with final score equivalent to second class, second/lower division will not be taken into consideration;
- The research project must be of excellent academic quality, with a special focus on the development relevance of the proposal;
- The research project must have a clear time frame that indicates how the research periods at KU Leuven and at the home institution will alternate (a maximum period of 12 months at the home institution should alternate with a maximum period of 12 months at KU Leuven).
- The applicants must be formally affiliated to a university in the home country as an employee. In case the applicant has no affiliation yet, he/she is eligible to apply to this scholarship programme but will be granted the scholarship once such an affiliation is obtained. All parties involved in the PhD proposal ( candidate, KU Leuven promotor, local co-promotor and the home university of the candidate) should be able to comply with the stipulations contained in the scholarship contract, which can be consulted here;
- The applicant’s home university must demonstrate sufficient support for the doctoral project, guaranteeing that the candidate can dedicate himself/herself sufficiently to conducting doctoral research during the periods spend at the home institution. Candidates who are not yet affiliated to a university in their home country do not yet have to demonstrate the support of the home university. Meanwhile, the scholarship will only be granted once candidate is formally affiliated to a university in the home country and when, consequently, that university can demonstrate sufficient support. However all parties involved in the PhD proposal (candidate, KU Leuven promotor, local co-promotor and the home university of the candidate) should be able to comply with the stipulations contained in the scholarship contract, which can be consulted here;
- Applicants who are already enrolled as PhD-students at KU Leuven and who are financed by KU Leuven are not eligible for this programme. Meanwhile, they might be eligible for the PhD scholarships for Researchers from the South;
- Applicants who have been employed before in an EEA country other than Belgium are not eligible for this scholarship. They may be eligible for the PhD scholarships for Researchers from the South though;
- The Applicants must demonstrate a development oriented motivation;
The candidates must be supported by KU Leuven promotor;
- The applicants must be supported by a local co-promoter at his/her home university;
- The candidate must be supported by excellent recommendations provided by relevant referees;
- The applicants must follow the application procedure and complete his/her file before 15 January 2020. Please make sure to fill in the application form with the following instructions;
- 1. First name and last name EXACTLY as written on the passport.
- 2. Type of programme: Doctoral Programme (diploma contract) or Predoctoral Programme. Select the doctoral or predoctoral programme in your field of study.
- 3. Academic year: please select 2020-2021.
- 4. Is this application also intended as a scholarship application? Yes.
- Name of the scholarship agency: Global Minds Doctoral Scholarship
- The applicants had read and agreed to the Regulations, Obligations and Conditions for Terminating the GM PhD Scholarship;
- Applicants are asked not to submit their application unless it fulfills the conditions enlisted above. Incomplete or late applications will not be taken into consideration, no exceptions will be made.
Global Minds Scholarship 2020-2021 Benefits | What Applicants will Benefits from this?
The scholarship will covers tuition fee, monthly allowance, insurance, travel costs, research allowance, etc. Refer to this page for full list of benefits lits.
How to Apply Global Minds Scholarship 2020-2021 Application
Applying for the Global Minds Scholarship 2020 application is simple once you have met the requirements for the application. On this section is how to apply for Global Minds Scholarship 2020 Programme, so kindly read on below.
Interested and qualified Candidates Should CLICK HERE to Apply online and also read more information about the Global Mind scholarship programme 2020-2021 award and complete necessary application before the 15 January 2020 application deadlines.